Thursday, 20 February 2014

Book covers 3

I made these book covers yesterday using similar techniques to those used on Tuesday but with more readily available materials. So alcohol inks were substituted with silk dyes, shop bought chipboard (thick card) backgrounds with mount board offcuts, and die cuts with my own cereal packet card cutouts based on drawings in sketchbooks. The shape and size was changed to make it more suitable to take the postcard sized samples we've been making in class at Brewery Arts. The bundle of sticks were collected on my usual daily walk and wired through the card cover. The samples are being made into a ziz-zag format and the end pages will be glued to the covers. Can't decide whether to add ties to it yet to hold it all together.

More book covers

These are the book covers that two of my grandchildren made with me. Jake, 9, made the pair at the top and Alicia, 7, made the ones at the bottom. They had great fun. So much so that Jake wants to live here so that he can make arty stuff all the time.

Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Book covers

These are the mixed media book covers that I made yesterday to hold all the samples from the Spring Diary course at Brewery Arts. We'll be making something similar in the last class of the term.

Monday, 10 February 2014

Spring bulbs

These are the spring bulbs, based on narcissi bulbs, and a fungi made for the class at Brewery Arts this week. Fabrics are hand painted, layered, stitched and stuffed. The toadstool has a card and stick base.

Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Twigs

These are the sketches of twigs that I used as inspiration for the rubber printing blocks. It was such a cold day that I collected the twigs and took them home to paint.

Monday, 3 February 2014

Nature diaries

This week in the class we are making printing blocks out of rubbers and using the prints to make a double page spread. After drawing different twigs standing above the frosted hedge one misty morning, I made 6 printing blocks on the rubber to give variations of stick and bud. I used them to create this piece based on horse chestnut and beech twigs.