The theme for SAB this month was gather which made me think of smocking. After various different attempts at stitching the page sections together this is how it ended up. Sage green cotton rag handmade Khadi paper, linen thread, dark grey linen to cover boards, & dotty paper for the endpapers.
Sewing homework this week was to make a portrait of Freda Kahlo using raw edge appliqué. The words are what she said inspired her work, perhaps originating from the appalling health problems she had all her life.
Experimenting with dyeing calico & cotton rag paper using things found in the kitchen - red & brown onions, plums, turmeric, plums, orange peel & avocado. The papers are to make a book for the next Stroud Artist Books meeting. The fabric I want to use to make a stitch diary.
At Stroud Artist Books this month we're having a Secret Santa. Each person is to take an A5 envelope containing at least 5 things with which to make, start, or inspire a book. The envelopes will be swapped around and, using the items received, we have to make a book to take to a future meeting. On a trip to the coast on Monday I collected some things from the beach - driftwood to be part of the binding process, orange fishing rope to tie things together, a seagull feather to use as a quill and a limpet shell, all to go into the gusseted envelope I've made. Card for covers, pasted paper for pages and sea themed wrapping paper from Seasalt to use to cover the card & for endpapers will complete the package. I was going to try making some ink but haven't had time to do that yet.