Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Book

I was sent a link to a YouTube clip about making a book out of old Amazon cardboard packaging designed by Michelle Ward on Stampington.com and thought I had to have a go. You use brown gum tape for a binding and it works surprisingly well. After assembling the pages they were manipulated a bit. Parts of the top layer of paper was torn off, sometimes randomly and sometimes in a pattern, to reveal the corrugations underneath. These bits of paper can be glued on again elsewhere. Using a cocktail stick or an awl, patterns of holes can also be made. When distressing is finished the pages were painted with gesso. I've used the book to store ideas I'm working on for a project piece for the BA class on Indian Embroidery.

BA class wk 7

Yesterday we had a look at metal thread embroidery, so lots of couching which is quite quick to work. Next week the students start their 3 week project of choice based on the Indian Embroidery theme.

BA class

Last week we looked at phulkari or flower work. It is a type of counted thread work so once you have the first stitch of each section set up in the right place the rest follow relatively easily. Though it is a bit of a strain on the eyes!

Saturday, 7 June 2014

Appliqué

Last week we tried out appliqué methods used in Indian embroidery. They are very clever the way the fabric is just folded and the slip stitched in place.